Below are 7 top tips that will get you locating buried cables and pipes safely and easily.
- Don’t assume that CATs find buried utilities. They find signals. Use the CAT in all modes of operation to detect all the signals.
- Use utility plans to identify where buried utilities may be located.
- Mark outside the excavation area. Once the top layer has been removed within the excavation area, then so have all reference marks.
- Use the Cable Avoidance Tool (CAT) in all different modes.
- Use the transmitter to verify the presence of all utilities. Even if the services have been found in power and radio, be sure and check by using the transmitter as well.
- Repeat the sweep process at regular depth intervals during the excavation. This will allow you to identify any additional utilities that might be there.
- Don’t assume once a shallow cable or pipe is excavated that this is the only utility there. Use the CAT and check to make sure there are no additional buried utilities.